Thursday, June 2, 2011

Water

May 21, 2011

It rained during the night, but stopped by daybreak. Then the winds took over. I think I am learning how to type a four letter weather word without looking at the keyboard. Maybe I am learning a couple of them.

I started west on US-12 a little east of Roscoe, South Dakota a sign warned of one lane road ahead. I topped the rise and found a ten minute traffic light (red of course) and this.


The speed limit was 10mph and if you went over that your tires would hydroplane and drift you toward the ditches. I straddled the centerline and looked down at it under 8" of water. I just had to stop and take pictures of it.

If they close the road as this trucker fears it will add it will add 100 miles to each of his trips hauling grain to an ethanol plant. On a good day he can make 5 trips, but not if they close the road. To say nothing of the extra fuel (6 miles to the gallon).


I went to Mobridge, South Dakota to see Sitting Bull's grave. The map showed his burial site as being near Fort Yates, North Dakota and I wanted to know why. His relatives got his remains moved. Digital cameras are great for taking notes.


Down US-83 and picked up US-212 to go through the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation and made it to Sturgis, South Dakota for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment