Friday, June 3, 2011

Forgetful Worries

May 29, 2011

I moved from Three Forks to Great Falls, Montana and north of Helena went through what they call "Gates of The Mountains". A very pretty area with the rock formations and no place to pull over for pictures. At times like these I feel there can be a justifiable need for a drive-by shooter. I'll drive, you shoot! With a camera.

In Great Falls I picked up a new set of tires and rims for the trailer and a chain. The weight and the roads have bent the axle and the tires are wearing unevenly. I'll go till they blow.

I tried the Internet again. Grrrrrr!!!!

Headed for the border! Not Taco Bell either.

May 30, 2011

I cleared customs; they think I'm crazy. Oh well, I am!

Alberta, in this area is a lot like the Great Plains with the Sweetgrass Hills going north from the border. Not a whole lot to look at but the mountains and foothills to the west. I can make good time here towing at 90-95. Kilometers! 55-60 miles per hour.

Camped at Carstairs north of Calgary and discovered I had left the power cord to my laptop charger in the laundry area of the campground in Great Falls, Montana. If I can't replace it that will be the end of my idea for this blog and the time lapse video I want to make of the sun staying up for 24 hours. The computer controls the camera.

I called part of my support team, Betty, Amanda and Alison. I love them so much and not just for all the help they have been with this trip. Alison said there are six Best Buy stores in the Edmonton area. Yea!

May 31, 2011

I left Carstairs, Alberta looking for a Best Buy in Edmonton. I rounded a curve at Red Deer and there was a Best Buy. I worked my way back to it from the next exit. I wanted just the cord but it was not to be found on the shelf. Second choice would be to buy a new charger. I needed a 120 watt charger and the ones they had were 70 and 90 watts. I went to the Geek Squad counter. The girl there looked at my charger, went in the back, came back with a cord and said "Don't lose this one! To replace that charger it will cost you 130 dollars." I asked her how much I owed her for the cord and she said "Have a nice day and a safe trip. It was just laying around back there."

Someone is looking out for me. Thank you!

I made it around Edmonton on the bypass (orange barrel season here to). In Canada I still haven't mastered the road signage but in the construction zones everyone obeys the speed limits. I was told it was because they couldn't afford the photo enforced fines and the fines in construction zones are doubled here too.

I camped at Gunn Lake campground and the amenities of the commercial campgrounds seem to be getting more primitive. Rustic is one thing, primitive another. One bathroom with a shower stall in the General Store which closes at 7:00pm.

I thought about getting up to take pictures of the two freight trains that passed in the night but didn't. The camera angle would have been looking right up the 20 foot embankment next to my campsite showing only the lights of the engines. That was a shot that would have taken prior planning.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dad!

    I'm just getting up to speed with your trip now that I am two blocks away from the community activity center here at Camp Humphreys in Pyongtaek.

    I hope the axle holds for you.

    Happy travels and I'm looking forward to that time lapse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George - enjoying the blog - still jealous - maybe some day for me too/ Keep the pics coming. Sounds like the semi-trailer would have been a better option for all of your gear. Skip

    Hey George I'm here too, we do finding George as a family time, alot like Waldo, just wanted to remind you that you can sell excess stuff to the Pawn shops to lighten your load, the Chilloquet pass is littered with stuff others thought they had to have, next trip I get to critique your "pack" love ya Sue

    ReplyDelete