Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sturgis Then West

May 22, 2011

I got up early on a Sunday morning to get pictures of Sturgis, South Dakota so that I could say to the motorcycle enthusiasts "Been there didn't do that."



Bars (saloons) started as far as 10 miles out of town with mini cabins to rent and names like Broken Spoke, Dragpipe, Full Throttle and Knuckle Saloon. It must be one very big event and the area is pretty to boot.

Then the rain and wind started. I tried to drive I-90 but with the headwinds and 75mph speed limit there was no way I wanted to drive it even on a Sunday morning. I got off at Sundance, Wyoming after 50 miles. I followed the two lanes down to Newcastle and across to Casper.



Saw antelope grazing along the roadside in Waverly like goats mowing a lawn and out in pastures with the herds of cattle. Not like the ones we saw in North Dakota nearly 34 years ago. I guess they have learned to adapt to encroachment.

I picked Powder River to refuel. WRONG!!! Not much there anymore and I would be on fumes if I could reach Shoshoni. I stopped at a rest area to ask someone about fuel. None was the answer. Here Goes! About three miles further on I caught sight of two pumps tucked in by a building, the name of the business was Brightspot. I told the lady it was for me too.

Made it to Riverton. Wal-Mart, K-Mart like a shopping meca and only 10,000 population. I was told that it was for most of western Wyoming, along with Casper. Still the nearest lumber yard was 125 miles away.

I picked up two 5 gallon and one 2 gallon gas cans but won't fill them until I have to. I don't need to carry the weight right now. But, "Lesson Learned"!

No comments:

Post a Comment