Saturday, May 28, 2011

Troubles?

May 19, 2011

Woke up and had trouble starting the jeep again. Drove to Ladysmith, Wisconsin and found an all night Kwik Trip gas station with coffee. Thank you very much! Julie that works there was very pleasent.

This is decision time - south to Eau Clair if I need a new starter motor or west on US-8 to Minnesota.

I decided to wait for daylight and call Richard Howell at Shelby Tire in Utica to take him up on his offer of help if I needed it. By daylight I had thought through all of the symptons and possible causes. That toolbag of mine may end up being very handy if I have to replace the starter motor. I would have the wrenches needed or could improvise if I didn't.

The easiest to fix cause would be corroded battery terminals. I'll try that first.

Yes, they were corroded and I took care of that. It works. I'm still going to call Richard when he gets into work. I called him and he said he could next day ship parts if I needed anything and locate mechanics for me too. A good thing to know and great place to do business with. Thanks Richard!

Now on to Minnesota. Crossed at St. Croix Falls into Minnesota. Two miles downhill on a 7-9% grade with a 30mph turn at the bottom then up again. No time for pictures with all that going on but it was very pretty.

Made it around Minneapolis/St. Paul before afternoon rush hour and camped at Lake Ripley near Litchfield.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are mastering your blog's maze. Enjoy hearing about the trip. Hope you didn't encounter problems with the snow we heard about over Memorial Day weekend. Travel safe and keep posting! Love, Kay

    ReplyDelete