Saturday, May 28, 2011

Making Up Miles

May 18, 2011

It sprinkled rain as I broke camp but stopped before I had to fold the tarp. The rope for tie downs worked and practice will help. I may have brought too many toys; that toolbag of mine was the hardest thing to find a spot for.

Time to start moving west. Manistique, Rapid River, Escanaba all those names bring back memories of my days with the Highway Dept. and Michigan Tech.

I picked US-8 as my route across Wisconsin and crossed the state line at 4:00 pm. I had recalulated the required daily average miles for the June 21st deadline and upped it from 150 to 200.




Clouds started breaking 26 miles east of Rhinelander, Wisconsin; great sunset and I couldn't find a place for a picture without a cell tower or power lines in the way. I kept driving until I got tired.

The wayside rest area east of Catawba was closed but I found a sign for for Flambeau River Campground at Hawkins. I went looking for that. Nine miles later I found the state forest. I parked, got out and started hearing noises that weren't any I was making. Recalling another sign I had seen without mileage either, pointing in the same direction, had said "Correctional Facility". I rethought tonight's plan and decided to head back to a closed gas station I had seen in Hawkins.

The starter motor on the jeep didn't sound right. It finally started on the third try.

As I was leaving the parking area I saw a deer cross the road. I didn't bother to stop and ask if it was the one making the noise.

I slept in the jeep at the station and my opinion of that hasn't changed since the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment