Saturday, May 28, 2011

Carrying On

 May 17, 2011

4 hours later and wide awake. The seat in the jeep is hard to sleep in when it can't be reclined. How April kicked the windshield out of Justin's while setting in the seat I will never know. The next rest area's coffee vending machine didn't work; the next one had no vending machines. This is going to be a very long night. At Mackinaw I found coffee and got one picture of the lights on the bridge. Hand holding the camera for a one second exposure was tough for me even with the image stabilizer in the lens. Crossed the bridge at 5:00am and parked at McDonald's to wait for the stores in St. Ignace to open. I need something for tie downs for the tarp. Ratchet straps are difficult to work with.

As dawn was breaking I saw a gull flying west of me. With each beat of it's wings it's white under belly would show and it reminded me of a slow strobe light or flash used in photography for multi-exposures. Then I got out of the jeep and realized it may not have been "Dawn's early light" doing that. It could have been just the parking lot lights at McDonald's. I thought I would give their wifi a try. Or, not! getting the laptop out would be a real challenge.

Refueled and shopped at Ace Hardware for tie downs. Settled on rope because I couldn't find cam straps long enough.

Heading west on US-2 I though I saw an eagle in a tree. As I turned around to check it out I remembered the gull and wondered aloud that this might just be a black garbage bag caught in a tree. Nope! It was a Bald Eagle and I got one picture before it flew.




The Cut River Bridge was my next stop for pictures. The trillium were in bloom and I took pictures of those. Walking to the bridge I saw a male Scarlet Tanager. Each time he perched long enough for a portrait something would be in the way. Amanda, does that remind you of you trying to get pictures of the one at our house?

I decided to camp at Big Knob State Forest Campground west of Naubinway and re-organize my stuff. Most used on the top and more accessible; who would have ever thought of that?

Twenty-three campsites and I was the only one there. The black flies were bad, but the bug spray that Betty had bought for me took care of that. THANKS, HONEY!!! Sportsman Extreme she had found on clearance at Meijer's.

It was a beautiful clear day, but re-organizing took most of the day. I also got a good night's sleep thanks to Betty's tulle. It kept the bugs at bay all night and didn't weigh enough to disturb my sleep. THANKS AGAIN, Betty!!! You have some pretty good ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment